Formed in 2005 the East Somerset Society of Model & Experimental Engineers (ESSMEE) created The Bath and West Steam Railway at the Bath and West Showground near Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
The members come from all walks of life, some with the traditional engineering skills. Some pursue their own interests using a wide range skills and knowledge, and many have created their own models including locomotives, coaches and wagons, traction engines, aircraft engine models and clocks taking advice from others when needed. Particular efforts are taken with younger members to encourage them to develop their interests and skills with smaller projects as well as helping at our public events.
We look forward to the public joining us at shows where they can have fun on our railway and its ½ mile track. (at the showground). During the Royal Bath & West Show four trains are run to satisfy the number of visitors. The club’s locos and privately owned ones include steam, diesel and electric driven models of diesel locomotives. All members are encouraged to learn to drive.
Naturally there is more, much more...
- The track is one of the longest in Somerset supporting both 5" and 7¼" and follows a small river, around a lake before returning to the station.
- Additionally, the main club area includes;
- clubhouse with facilities for meetings, storage and a fully equipped workshop
- ground level marshalling yards for 5” locos and rolling stock
- steaming bay, turntable and train preparation area
- signalling on the block system using both electricity and compressed air.
- The society offers Driver Training with taster sessions on its Driver Experience
The society is a friendly place and guidance and help are always available to members. You might want to read our Mission Statement on the About page. We are always looking for new members so if you wish to join a friendly, helpful bunch whose primary love is having fun with their hobby contact us!