ESSMEE holds Open Weekends at the Bath and West Showground twice a year, usually in Spring and October. This is are full two day events with train rides which are available throughout the day but you're welcome to visit for as long or as short as you like.
More importantly, guests of other clubs and societies are welcome to feature the "love of their life" and do so in large numbers. Guests who bring working exhibits travel from as far away as Fareham, Bicester and Wales (Pontyclun). On previous occasions as many as 20 traction engines, 20 locomotives with 3 steam cars have attended.
Guest appearances have included
- Large and small traction Engines
- 5" Steam locomotives
- 7¼" Steam locomotives
- Steam Cars
Of course the society will be running its own steam locomotives of which Mendip is one.
The Open Days are a great opportunity to discuss in further detail what the society can offer and you are welcome to chat to any of the members in as much detail as you like about all matters engineering
Entry to the ground is FREE and there is PLENTY OF PARKING. You might like to view a map of how to find us.
We look forward to welcoming you!
ESSMEE welcomes members of the public with their own locomotives or traction engines. In the first instance, please contact us by email. For safety and legal reasons the following conditions apply:
- Your locomotive must be in sound working condition.
- Steam locomotives must have a current applicable boiler safety certificate.
- We need to know the weight of your locomotive for handling purposes.
- You must know how to operate the locomotive you are bringing and know how to recognise the signals at the club.
- You must have 3rd party public liability insurance. Additionally, you must sign in as a guest to be covered by the society's insurance.
- Drivers under 16 will not be allowed to run on public running days.